Wednesday, July 07, 2021

Four More Returns Including a Couple HOF 1983 Rookie Cards

My mail is all caught up with the Informed Delivery email now, as I received the three returns that were in my email from yesterday, as well as one additional that was in this morning's email.

I haven't sent out very many cards from the 1983 set I recently purchased, but I did send out a few that I really wanted to make sure I got done while it was relatively easy and cheap.

I received a signed 1983 Topps from both Wade Boggs and Ryne Sandberg.  These happen to be their rookie cards as well.  Boggs charges extra to sign a rookie card, an unfortunate trend in the hobby, which is $20 instead of his usual $10 per card.  Still a bargain.


I sent $10 along with my request to Ryne Sandberg.  His fee isn't clear these days.  He used to sign for $5 per, but then started returning some cards unsigned, while keeping all the cash enclosed.  It's probably safest to send one card at a time with $10.  I see some returns on SCN where they've sent two cards and $20, but he only returned one card signed.


A couple weeks ago I posted about a small card show I went to where I got a couple Juan Berenguer signatures.  At that show, I bought a 1955 Golden Stamp of Carl Erskine.  I had never seen these stamps before but thought it would be a cool item to get signed.  I sent $5 along with my request.  His signature is getting a little shaky, not surprising for someone 94 years old, but I think it looks very nice.  He also added his jersey number inscription.



Finally, Dave Leonhard signed his 1968, 1971 and 1972 Topps.  A little over 10 years ago, I sent him a 1971 and 1972 Topps.  He didn't return the 1972 Topps and the 1971 was signed in fading, black marker.  I'm not sure why it took me so long to send to him again, especially since I've been looking for more 1972 cards for my set.  It might be because his return times can be long, so when I looked at SCN outstanding requests in the past it may have appeared as if he had stopped signing.  I sent this back in February, so it was almost five months, but his success rate on SCN is very high (95%).



No comments: