Monday, July 12, 2021

Dick Hall and Dave LaRoche Returns

Today brought two returns to the mailbox.

Dick Hall signed his 1960, 1961 and 1962 Topps in about 55 days.  Mr. Hall has a success rate on SCN of only about 38%.  Sometimes he signs very quickly, and sometimes it can take over a year to get a return.

This was my second request to him.  I sent to him in December of 2003, and he returned my 1955 and 1971 Topps signed in February of 2005.  441 days!  I'm not sure why there is such variability in return times or why he doesn't sign sometimes, but I consider myself lucky to have received two successes in two tries with him.

I've had the 1961 Topps in my "maybe" pile to send out for years.  I'm not sure why I decided to send out now.  There were a couple of returns this spring, and neither of us are getting any younger, so I guess it was worth the risk.  The cards aren't expensive so losing them wouldn't have been too disappointing.

This may be the longest span between requests I've had for a player.  I first sent to him in December of 2003, and then again in May of 2021. About 17.5 years.




I also received a very quick return from Dave LaRoche, who signed a couple 1983 Topps and his 1977 Pepsi disc in just 10 days, which spanned the 4th of July holiday as well.






No comments: