Sunday, July 11, 2021

Catching Up From the Weekend

I was out of town since Friday morning and came home to a few returns and purchases.

I was excited to see a couple returns in my Informed Delivery email that were postmarked from Minneapolis.  I only had two requests out to Minnesota: Randy Dobnak and Justin Morneau.  So I was sure I was getting those two guys back.

I was only half-right.  I did get a return from Randy Dobnak, who signed his 2020 and 2021 Topps Heritage cards that I sent back in early May.


But the other SASE that was postmarked from Minneapolis was actually a return from Tony LaRussa!  A great return, but not what I expected.  The White Sox were in town playing the Twins, so he must take his fan mail with him on the road to keep up on it.  He signed his 1983 and 1985 Topps.



I'm not a huge fan of the managers' cards in the 83 set.  I wish they followed the same design as the player cards, with an action photo and a smaller portrait towards the bottom.  The action photos could include meetings on the mound, arguing with the ump, talking with other coaches in the dugout, etc.  Oh well.

Vic Harris signed his 1973, 1978 and 1979 Topps.



Doug Bird signed his 1975, 1978, 1980 and 1983 Topps.




Pete Koegel signed his high-number 1971 Topps, but unfortunately it was smeared.

I also bought a couple 1983 Topps from Mickey's, including Don Baylor, who is deceased, and Ron Cey, who signs for a $15 fee now.  I got both of these cards for less than $15.


No comments: