Sunday, November 23, 2008

Personalized Successes


Like my Mike McCormick return from yesterday, some signers personalize your items.

Some collectors consider this a failure rather than a success. They think this lowers the value of the item, which I suppose it does. Some collectors like it though, as it shows the player signed it specifically for them. My son likes having his items personalized, and has even paid extra to have an item personalized, such as the Tony Oliva picture shown here.
Add Image
I suppose players personalize for several reasons. I have read that some do it purposely to lower the value of the item so the person requesting it can't easily turn around and sell the item on eBay.


Some players probably assume they are doing the collector a favor and that a personalized autograph is preferred to simply a signature.

I don't have a strong preference, but I guess I would prefer just the signature. I'm not disappointed when an item is personalized, but since the vast majority of my collection isn't personalized, a plain signature would be more consistent with the rest of my items.

I guess the worst scenario would be if my writing were illegible and the person signing my card personalized to a name other than mine.

Joe Garagiola will sign your item with just his signature, then include an additional item that is personalized to you. Perhaps that's his way of trying to please everybody. I was definitely happy with it.


1 comment:

Mac Noland said...

While I don't have many items signed, I prefer personalized myself.