Saturday, November 29, 2008

Local Boy - Johnny Blanchard


Johnny Blanchard was a third string catcher for the Yankees in the 1950's and 1960's. Despite being a backup catcher, he saw lots of action when Yogi Berra and Elston Howard were injured. He played in five World Series for a total of 15 games and batted .345 with two home runs.

As I looked up his address to send my request, I found he lives in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota, and was born in Golden Valley.





He signed my 1961 and 1965 Topps and also included a signed and personalized picture. He even sent it back in his own envelope which required additional postage. I included $10 with my request as I noticed on SCN that many people were including $5 per card with their requests.

That was a nice return, but I'm still waiting on my Frank Viola bobblehead and 1965 Topps from Whitey Ford. My check to Whitey Ford was cashed, so I'm hopeful that will be returned soon. I haven't seen the check to Frank Viola clear yet, so hopefully it's just a Thanksgiving delay.

No comments: