Thursday, April 04, 2024

Daniels, Gelnar and Law TTM and a Pete Rose Purchase

I received three more ttm returns today.

Bennie Daniels, who is 91 years old, was kind enough to sign his 1958 Topps and the 58 Pirates team card, as well as the 1965 Senators team card.  I have two 1958 Pirates team cards in process and both are getting quite full.  The team cards from that year are pretty horrible for many signatures as there is very little open space.  Mostly pictures of players and lots of text with the players' names.  Mr. Daniels has signed for me many times over the last 20 years and still has a very nice signature.



John Gelnar signed his 1965 and 1971 Topps as well as the 1965 Pirates and 1972 Brewers team cards.  I sent him an unsigned team card even though I received my in-process card back from Vern Law today.  I had started this new Pirates card since I didn't think the one I sent to Bob Veale was coming back after more than four months.  When it did, I sent it off to Vern Law.  I'll have to wait a while and send this one off to Gelnar to keep adding to it.  Coordinating getting these team cards signed is surprisingly complicated, at least for me.  Especially if you really want to make an effort to get them signed by as many players as possible, as opposed to just sending them out when you are sending requests to the players anyway.




Vern Law signed the 1972 Topps Cy Young Award card as well as the 1965 Pirates team card.  I included $20 with my request.  I have ignored these Award cards from the 1972 set but am starting to work on them now.  I think I'll try to get multiple players on these cards but try to keep the players on each card from the same era as much as possible.


Finally, I received a Pete Rose-signed 1963 Cincinnati Reds team card with the "Hit King" inscription, authenticated by PSA with an autograph grade of "Gem Mt 10."  This is as close to getting his rookie card signed as I'm going to get probably.

I'm sending off a Dave Winfield 1974 Topps rookie card to a Tom Orr signing.  I already sent in a Gold Glove baseball earlier.  This signing was delayed by at least a month or two, so after sending the ball, I decided to also send in the card to try to keep my Hall of Fame signed rookie card collection moving.

No comments: