Thursday, February 01, 2024

Bob Speake Return

Bob Speake signed his 1956 and 1958 Topps for me in his usual fine, black ink.  I've sent to him four times over the last 20 years, and he used very similar ink each time.  A couple cards were a bit smudged in my previous requests, which seems common with this type of ink.

I'm not sure exactly what type of pen this is.  I don't think it's ballpoint.  I think it's a very fine, hard-tipped ink pen.  I've had other players use similar ink, and smudging is often a problem.




I had a bit of a scare when I opened this sase.  My Excel spreadsheet noted that in addition to these two cards, I had sent him a 1958 Topps Pirates team card, signed by several, including Bill Mazeroski, yet it was not included in the return.

I panicked a bit and posted a request for folks to keep their eyes out for this in their returns from him on the SCN message boards.  Then, I realized he never played for the Pirates.  When I had typed in the cards I was sending to him in my spreadsheet, after typing, "1956, 1958 Topps", Excel must have auto-filled the rest of the cell with ", 1958 Pirates team card" which was the exact entry I made for Johnny O'Brien a few months prior.  I didn't notice this at the time I made this entry in my spreadsheet.  I confirmed that I received the right cards back when I checked my SCN log, which noted I only sent him two cards.

So, Mr. Speake did not keep my card, and it did not get lost in the mail.  However, I can't find the card right now.  The last time I sent it was to Bob Skinner which was returned to me back in June.  I assume it's in a shoebox of cards that I need to sort into the rest of my collection when I get a chance.  I had posted in this blog that I was going to retire the card when I received it back from a Bob Skinner.  Later tonight, I'll go dig it out and try to confirm that.

No comments: