Monday, February 05, 2024

Rickey Henderson 1980 Topps Rookie Card

I decided to start focusing on autographed Hall of Fame rookie cards.   

I have a bunch already, but decided to get some more, especially from players that I don't currently have any autograph of yet.

First, I'm sending in to a Rickey Henderson signing, which luckily does not have a higher price for rookie cards than his other cards.  I am not usually too concerned about card condition, but when I'm paying a lot for both the card and the signing itself, I prefer to get a better card.  Especially when the card is not that old, such as this 1980 Topps.

I think it looks much better than the grade of 4 it was given by SGC, which is the perfect scenario for me.  Good eye appeal, but a lower grade to keep the price down.  I cracked open the slab this evening before packing it up to ship out tomorrow.  Several years ago, I documented how to remove cards from slabs.  I didn't document opening an SGC slab, but it's almost identical to the PSA slab I wrote about here:

https://droidtrader.blogspot.com/2009/02/cracking-open-graded-card-psa.html


I broke down and bought a 1960 Topps Carl Yastrzemski rookie card.  I am a little worried I might not get it in time for the signing I want to send it to, but we'll see.

I've sent out a handful of cards lately so I'm hopeful the returns will pick up in a week or so.  I should also start getting back some returns from mail-in signings soon.

3 comments:

GTT said...

Good luck with the signings!

Droidtrader said...

Thanks, and it's good to hear from you. It's been a while!

Crocodile said...

Rickey auto's are not cheap. He's appearing in town at a show this spring and I plan to be there. Looking forward to meeting him.