Sunday, August 06, 2023

Three TTM Successes and Some Purchases

I was out of town over the weekend and came back to a few ttm successes and some purchases.

First, the purchases.  

I bought a 1962 Topps signed by Jim Lemon and a 2015 Topps Heritage signed by Alex Meyer from a fellow Twins fan and SCN member from their eBay listings.


I also bought a 1951 Bowman signed by Vern Law on eBay.  I was originally going to buy an unsigned 1951 Bowman of his to send ttm as an upgrade to one he signed in black for me back in 2004.  I was going to send it in a bubble mailer with a blue sharpie to try to increase my chances of getting it signed in blue.  While shopping for the card on eBay, I came across this one already signed, which turned out to be cheaper than buying an unsigned card of similar condition, the sharpie, the bubble envelope, his fee and postage.  And I eliminated the risk of him not signing it in blue sharpie.

On Friday, I received a ttm return from Jose Morales Sr., who signed his 1977 Topps Record Breaker, his regular 1977 Topps and his 1980 Topps. I don't really collect these sets, but have a nearly complete unsigned 1980 set that I use to include when I send out cards from the 1978 set I'm working on.  I also have a complete 1979 Topps set that I use for the same purpose.



On Saturday, I received cards from the 1976, 1978, 1985 and 1987 Topps sets signed by Bob Boone.  I used to think he was a spotty signer, but he's been very consistent over the last year or so, except for some RTSs.  There are more than a couple RTSs, so I don't know if some collectors are writing his address wrong, or if he occasionally refuses his mail.  I was surprised I hadn't sent to him yet.  I wouldn't let the RTSs stop me from sending again.

Bob Boone's rookie card is a high-numbered 1973 Topps, but I think I've got it lying around here someplace.  And I'd like to add him to my 1975 Topps set as well, so I'll probably send to him again later this year or early next.




And finally, former-Twin Jim Hughes signed his 1977 and 1978 Topps nicely in blue sharpie.  He previously signed a 1978 Topps for me in black sharpie, so this is a nice upgrade and I'm happy to add the 1977 card that shows him in a Twins uniform.


I have a few eBay purchases that seem to be taking a long time in the mail.  I know the USPS has had its issues over the last few years, but I've been lucky enough to largely avoid them.  One package was sent on July 19th, using the cheaper eBay tracking that starts with "ESUS".  This tracking usually doesn't have too many updates other than when it was sent and when it was delivered.  It seems to go to a different facility than most other packages before making it to my local PO for delivery.  And often, it is marked as delivered a couple days prior to it actually being delivered.  This bogus delivery status worries me the most, since I'm sure the seller and eBay won't believe me if I say I haven't received it if the tracking says it was delivered.  This wasn't a large or expensive order, but I'll be relieved when it shows up.  Maybe tomorrow?

No comments: