Saturday, May 07, 2022

McDowell, Mota and Scherman TTM Returns

I received three returns to end the week.

Sam McDowell signed his 1970 Topps All Star card as well as the 1971 Topps Strikeout Leaders card for his $5 per card fee.  McDowell had a crazy number of strikeouts in the late 60's and early 70's and is on a lot of these Leaders-type cards.  He led the AL in strikeouts 5 times, despite struggling with a drinking problem.  He also had a crazy number of walks and wild pitches though. 

I read on Instragram (I think) that someone had done an interview with him and noted that he's raising his fee to $20 per card.  I hope that's not true because I'd like to get a few more cards signed, but I probably wouldn't at $20.

I'll have to send this Leaders card off to Lolich next, who does charge $20, unfortunately.


Manny Mota signed his 1974, 1975, 1977 and 1978 Topps.  I already had a 78 Topps signed by him, but this one blue sharpie sig is a nice upgrade to the black sharpie he used on my request back in 2006.




And finally, Fred Scherman was kind enough to sign five cards for me:  his 1971, 1972, 1974, 1975 and 1976 Topps.  All nicely signed in blue sharpie.  Back in 2010, he signed his 1971 and 1972 Topps in black ballpoint, so these are nice upgrades.





Last night I bought a bunch of cards from the 60's to send out to 5-6 different players.  I also need to buy a bunch of 75 Topps to keep my progress on this set moving.  I usually buy these cheaper cards on Sportslots, but it can be very time-consuming to try to minimize the shipping costs and still find a decent number of cards from just a small number of sellers.  I wish there was a better way.

No comments: