Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Wayne Gross and Bob Veale

I received two more returns today, from Wayne Gross and Bob Veale.

Wayne Gross signed his 1978, 1979 and 1985 Topps in about three months.




This return satisfied my goal of adding 50 signed 1978 Topps cards to my set for the year.  It was harder than I thought it would be, mostly because I didn't want to pay a lot in fees.

The return envelope from Bob Veale was in pretty rough shape.  Luckily, the cards inside were in nice condition.  I don't include any type of protection for the cards in my requests.  No top loaders, no index cards and no cardboard.  I've found that doing so causes more issues than just mailing the cards alone.  In this case, Mr. Veale kindly added a piece of styrofoam egg carton to help protect my cards.  I think the rigidity can cause the envelope to get caught and mangled in the USPS sorting machines.  Also, making the envelope rigid can cause the cost of mailing go up to package rates, if the USPS employee is picky enough.




That isn't to say that I never have any issues with cards getting damaged, but I think much less so than trying to prevent it by adding extra material.

I've sent out 23 requests this month, including 20 in just the last two days.  Hopefully, the returns will be pretty consistent for several weeks. I have also participated in some private signings that will occur later this month and I'm anxious to get those items back.

No comments: