Monday, August 23, 2021

A Few Returns, a Failure and a Purchase

A mixed bag of results again today. 

I received a note back from Jack Fisher that he is now charging for autographs for a charity along with the details on where to send.  He requests $15 per card now.  He signed for me for free once and it took nearly three years to get back.  I sent in February of 2015 and received three cards bac nicely signed in January of 2018.  He did include a signed index card though.  Also, on the back of my SASE, in the bottom right corner, someone used a pencil to write  the year and card number of each card I had sent, which I thought was kind of odd.

I received a nice return from Joe Azcue who signed his 1971 Topps for his $5 fee.  I also need him for my 1963 set and I'm not sure why I didn't send that along.  I had sent a 1963 Topps to him back in 2017 but I never heard back.  Since then, he started charging $5.

Former-Twin Leo Cardenas signed his 1971 and 1973 Topps for me for his $5 per card fee.  I had sent him a 1971 Topps last fall, but wasn't happy with the result.  I also re-sent a 1963 Topps to him after getting a result I wasn't happy with at a paid signing.  My guess is his signature gets pretty bad if he is signing a lot, so you'll have to hope you catch him on a day that he doesn't have much to sign.  The cards I got back today were signed very nicely.


Here's the 1971 Topps I sent him last fall that prompted me to try again.


Here's the 1963 Topps I had signed at a private signing in 2015.


And here's a nicer signature on a 1963 Topps I sent him in 2018 to try to upgrade the first one.


He signed a 1961 Topps in red for me back in 2011. I don't get too many signed in red.


Okay, enough of my adventures with Leo Cardenas.  He's been a very reliable and generous signer over the years.

Jerry Walker generously signed five cards for me including his 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961 and 1964 Topps.






Finally, I received a Fred Hatfield-signed 1958 Topps that I bought on Ebay.  I had an Ebay gift card and Paypal credit and decided to use it to add another card to this set.  I need about 120 cards to complete the set now,  There are only two living players I don't have yet: Sandy Koufax and Willie Mays.




No comments: