Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Gabrielson, Hillman and Johnson

I've been sending out quite a few requests so it's more of a surprise when I don't get any returns than when I do.  This year I will probably send out the 2nd-most requests since I started doing this in 2003.  Somehow, in 2003 I was able to send out 491 requests, even though I didn't start until June!  My second highest total was 250 back in 2011.  I'm already at 274 this year, but won't come close to 491.

Today I received three returns:

Len Gabrielson signed and personalized his 1966, 1968 and 1970 Topps.  He also signed his 1963 Topps without personalization, probably because it's a multi-player card and there isn't much room.





Dave Hillman signed his 1960 Topps and two copies of his 1962 Topps card.  I had offered one of the 1962 Topps for him to keep.




Finally, Davey Johnson signed his 1971 Topps and 2000 Fleer Greats of the Game for his $5 per card fee.  I'm not sure why it took me so long to get around to sending the GOTG card to him.  I've been working on the set casually for years and he's a reliable signer with a reasonable fee.  I need to go through that set and see if there are any other players that are reliable and inexpensive.


It turns out I was pretty lucky to get my last return from Brooks Robinson.  Very shortly after I received my return, he started sending requests back unsigned with a note that he had broken his arm and is unable to sign.  At 84 years old, it may take a while for him to heal.  I hope is is doing well and makes a quick recovery.

No comments: