Friday, July 14, 2023

Darrel Chaney and Bobby Shantz

I received two returns today, although one was damaged.

Darrel Chaney signed his 1969 Topps, completing it, as well as his 1973 Topps.  He also included a signed religious card and wrote me a short note and signed that as well.



I was anxious to get my cards back from Bobby Shantz, but was disappointed to find out that both cards were pretty creased.  Not just in one spot either.  The sase, which I put the cards in when I send the request, did not appear to be very bent, but must have been rolled or folded a bit a few times on its trip to Mr. Shantz and back.  Pretty disappointing, but that's the risk you take sending cards unprotected in the mail.


I stand by this method though.  Card savers are a hassle, especially for older players, who sometimes sign the holder rather than removing the card from it.  Index cards are flimsier than the cards themselves so don't offer any protection.  In my several thousand requests, I have only had my cards damaged a handful of times.  Too bad it had to be this request though.  The Bowman card was a little over $7 on eBay, plus $5 for his fee, so it's disappointing.  I probably won't send another copy of the same cards.

4 comments:

John Bateman said...

Bobby Shant is still Alive. How old is he - 95?

John Bateman said...

Just check B-R and he will be 98 in September -

Droidtrader said...

@John: He's 97, turning 98 in September! Still a beautiful signature and generous signer.

Droidtrader said...

He's currently the 4th oldest living MLB player, according to baseball almanac:

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/Oldest_Living_Baseball_Players.php