Wednesday, November 09, 2022

Reattaching Bobblehead Heads

I had sent out five bobbleheads earlier this year.  Some to private signings, and some directly to the players.  To make it easier, and cheaper to ship. I removed and sent the head only.  I've had them sitting on my desk waiting to reattach the heads, which I finally got to today.

The heads have a spring attached, which is somehow attached to the inside of the head, probably with glue, then the other end of the spring is attached to a neck on the body.

Once the spring is back on the neck, I use a hot glue gun to help keep the spring attached.  This sometimes results in a head that doesn't bobble as much as it used to, but I feel better that it is attached securely.

Here you can see the Eddie Guardado bobblehead when I have attached the spring to the neck but haven't glued it yet.  I use some small picks I bought at Harbor Freight to help scrape away any old glue, and to try to pull the spring down to the bottom of the neck.  It's tricky, and you have to be careful not to break the neck or pull the spring away from the top of the inside of the head.


And here's a picture with a light coat of hot glue to help keep the spring in place.  You can see the thin string of glue to the right of the neck across my finger.  Hot glue can be a little messy.  It reminds me of trying to glue windshields to plastic model cars when I was a kid.  I always got the model glue all over the clear plastic.




Here are the five bobbleheads I had to reattach the heads to.  From left to right: Brooks Robinson, Shannon Stewart, Camilo Pascual, Eddie Guardado and Jim Perry.




No comments: