Monday, June 13, 2022

Canseco, Maz and Muser

I'm not a big fan of the steroid-era players.  But they are a part of the history of the game.  I saw the A's play the Twins in the Metrodome, probably in about 1992 or 1993.  I remember how huge McGwire and Canseco were, with biceps the same diameter as their thighs.  McGwire hit a pop up so high, I think it hit part of the Metrodome roof.

Anyway, I decided to get a 1987 Topps signed by Jose Canseco at a mail-in signing because of the Topps All Star Rookie Trophy on it, and because it was only a $12.50 signing fee.

The last Mark McGwire signing listed on SCN was charging $90 per card.  I'm not sure why there's such a big difference.

I also received a return from Bill Mazeroski, who signed the 1961 Topps card, "The Winners Celebrate", with him and Gino Cimoli on it.  Cimoli was a very generous signer before he passed.  I wish I had worked on these types of cards much sooner.  I included $10 with my request, as usual.  Last night I was working on sending out a few cards I had received from Ebay purchases, including a 1959 Topps Mazeroski card.  I was curious how long it had been since my last request and was surprised that I hadn't even received it back yet!   I just can't resist getting these great old-time players on vintage cards for bargain prices.  I'll probably send out the 59 in a week or two and begin my hunt for the next card!

Finally, Tony Muser was kind enough to sign his 1974, 1975, 1977 and 1978 Topps nicely for me in blue sharpie.




Today I also received a few purchases, including a stat-back Exhibit card of Orlando Cepeda from Ebay and about 30 cards from Sportlots which included nearly 20 1975 Topps and some other 70's cards to include with those requests.  I made a large purchase on Sportlots, and this was from one of the three sellers included in my order.

No comments: