Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Juan Marichal Return

I continue to send requests to good-signing, HOF players that are a bargain.  Bill Mazeroski, Jim Palmer, Jim Rice, Andre Dawson, Harold Baines, Ryne Sandberg and Mike Mussina, off the top of my head.

Juan Marichal can also be included in that list.  He signed his 1973 Topps for me for his $10 fee.



Some of the 1973 Topps cards have odd pictures that barely show the player that is supposed to be the subject.  I like that many of these cards have action photos, like this one, but sometimes the player is obscured by other players.  This picture has the bat obscuring part of Marichal's head.

Steve Garvey's card is another example:


This is one of my favorite sets though.  I like the position icon at the bottom of the card, and most of the pictures are great.  It's also one of the first sets that I remember having cards from when I was a kid.  I don't think I bought them new, but I think I ended up with a bunch of these from a garage sale near my home when I was about 8 or 10, from a home that had some older boys.  Included was Nolan Ryan's 1971 Topps that I've had ever since.

No comments: