Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Famous Slugger Yearbook


I recently purchased a cool little magazine on Ebay: the Famous Slugger Yearbook from 1965, produced by Louisville Slugger. I have a couple of these, but this one is my favorite. It has a small picture of Roberto Clemente and Tony Oliva on the front, as well as a teaser to "Help Yourself To Better Hitting" by Harmon Killebrew.

The pages are filled with great pictures of Harmon Killebrew and pages and pages of hitting advice from him.

There are also statistics listed for 1964, highlighting the previous years top performers. Names such as Brooks Robinson, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle and hometown heroes Killebrew and Oliva are littered throughout, with stats and pictures of each.

There is also an interesting section on how bats are made, with a guy looking like my 7th grade shop teacher standing at the lathe, turning a bat for some major leaguer.

These magazines are really fun to look at and the ads are pretty hilarious. I have found a couple at a flea market for $10-$15, and this one on Ebay cost about the same. If you're interested in vintage baseball items, this one is a really good buy.

1 comment:

Mac Noland said...

That's pretty cool! Next time my wife drags me to a flee market, I'll have to do some searching around.