Thursday, October 16, 2008

Bobblehead Sets


I'll be leaving town this evening for the weekend, so I won't see what I get in the mail, if anything, for the next couple of days. Today I wanted to highlight my signed bobblehead set projects.

I purchased a ten bobblehead set consisting of players from the 1965 Twins team that lost to the Dodgers in the World Series. I currently have 6 of them signed, including Harmon Killebrew, Tony Oliva, Frank Quilici, Jim "Mudcat" Grant, Jim Perry and Camilo Pascual. I think the only living player I don't have signed in this set is Jim Kaat.

I've included a picture of the Camilo Pascual signed bobblehead that I got via a mail order singing with Bob Corcoran.



I also purchased the 1987 set of Twins bobbleheads, the first Twins team to win a World Series. I bought these online the day they went on sale on the Twins web site. I think they sold about 400 sets, and they sold out in 8 minutes. It was tough to get through to the site, but I was lucky enough to buy one before they sold out. So far, I have signed bobbleheads from this set by Bert Blyleven, Dan Gladden, Tim Laudner, Jack Morris and Al Newman. I've got a long way to go on this set, as there are 25 players in it. Of course Kirby passed away before the set was released, so it will never be complete. Joe Niekro has also passed away. My favorite in the set is Juan Berenguer, which I got signed at a Dick's Sporting Goods appearance in September of 2007 (during a tornado warning, but that's another story).

I've also included a picture of my older son, John, at this event with Juan Berenguer and Kevin Tapani. Also at this signing were Nick Blackburn, Jesse Crain, Jason Kubel, Scott Leius and Tim Laudner. Due to the poor weather, the turnout was very light, so we got a chance to take some good pictures with the players and my son got some tips on blocking balls in the dirt from Tim Laudner (John is a catcher).

No comments: