Thursday, January 25, 2024

Chili Davis, Tom Griffin and Some Purchases

Yesterday I received a return from Tom Griffin, who completed the 1969 Houston Rookie Stars card and signed his 1970 and 1980 Topps cards as well as the 1978 Padres team card.






Today I received a return from a private signing with Chili Davis.  A while back I posted that I had intended to send in his 1991 Twins World Series poster, but then realized I already had it signed.  So, I sent in a Metrodome ball and had him add the 1991 World Series Champions inscription instead.  The scan shows the ball as having some pretty bad browning, which isn't visible when I look at the ball with my eyes.  I'm not sure if there's something weird about the scan, or if the ball is slightly discolored, and the scanner exaggerated it. 

And I received a few cards I purchased from Tom Orr, including cards from Eddie Murray, Jack Clark, Jim Kaat and Ted Simmons.  This is my first Ted Simmons autograph, so I can add one more Hall of Famer to my collection.




Speaking of which, I was pleasantly surprised to see Joe Mauer get elected to the Hall of Fame on his first try!  Congratulations to Joe!  I was afraid the voters would think he didn't have enough years playing at a high level, or enough years playing at all.  I really think his personality had a big impact.  Had he been a jerk to the press and fans, I don't think he'd get it, at least initially.

No comments: