Tuesday, January 10, 2023

My Mail Taken Hostage

I hadn't received any mail since last Thursday despite there being plenty of ttm returns in my daily Informed Delivery emails.

I began to suspect that perhaps the mail carrier wasn't delivering due to the snow buildup at our shared mailbox in the neighborhood.  Sure enough, one of my neighbors had called and was told exactly that.  I had seen the neighbor who lives immediately next to the mailbox snowblowing around it, which looked like a tough job, with plenty of snow blowing in her (yes, "her", I don't know where her husband was) face while she was doing it.  I feel guilty now and will make an effort to dig it out once in a while myself.

My neighbor also told me I could drive to the post office to pick up my mail, which is what I did.  I received all but one of the sases that were in the last few Informed Delivery emails.  Hopefully after tomorrow I'll be all caught up.

I received nine team cards back and have other cards waiting on several of these to send on to the next player.  The returns include Orioles team cards from 1961, 1963 and 1965.  I have the 63 and 65 already signed by Brooks Robinson, and only Brooks Robinson.  I also have the 61 out to him now.  Maybe if I get stuck and can't find other players to send them to, I'll finish them off by having Brooks sign them and then retire them.  Then I'll have copies with just him on them, as well as true team cards.

All of these cards are ttm returns, except the Max Kepler 2020 Topps Heritage Real One auto card, which I bought on eBay.

I sent out another 1991 Twins World Series poster to a private signing.  This time to Chili Davis.  I also finally broke down and sent a 2008 Goudey to be signed by Eddie Murray.  It will be a while before those come back, but I do have some other mail-in signings that may arrive this week.

Here are my returns since last Thursday:




















2 comments:

Crocodile said...

I've had the same issue with my mail carrier. Normally they would drop off a goofy little cartoon depicting a mail car tipping over while riding up on the snow bank as a warning, but honestly sometimes I think they just don't want to get out of the car. I had a really grumpy carrier who would cut my mail off at the slightest snow drift. Fortunately he moved on and the carrier I now have is much more understanding.

Droidtrader said...

This is the first time I can remember this happening, but I didn't think it was too bad. I know they are overworked and understaffed, so I'll cut them some slack this time. I'll also try to help out my neighbor a bit. They shouldn't have to be the only ones to shovel it out when the whole street uses it.