Saturday, August 22, 2026

Steve Blass TTM Return - 1972 Sports Illustrated Magazine

Yesterday I received a nice return from Mr. Steve Blass, who signed his 1972 Sports Illustrated cover as requested in just  nine days.  I sent along a blue sharpie for him to use as well as $20 for him despite him not having a fee schedule.  He typically signs for no charge, but I usually assume a player will appreciate the gesture of the fee, even if they don't keep it.

I've had a couple players return the money along with a brief note that they don't accept fees for signing, but never really got the impression that I had offended them by offering the money.  I guess I'd rather offend someone by offering the money when they don't want it, than to not offer the money, and have them feel I was taking advantage of their generosity by signing premium items for me for no charge.

No comments: