Thursday, August 20, 2026

Jim Thome Bobblehead

After receiving my four Joe Mauer bobbleheads back yesterday, I received another bobblehead back today.  This time it is the Jim Thome, Paul Bunyan-themed bobblehead from August 25, 2008. 

This bobblehead wasn't a typical give away version given out at the gates before a game until they were gone.  This one was part of a special ticket package for that game.  I can't find the number of these bobbleheads that were made, but based on the low number available on eBay (only four right now), and the high price, I assume it was relatively low.  It's also possible that since people paid for it as part of a ticket package, the purchasers specifically wanted the bobblehead to keep, so few have been made for sale.  The giveaways, however, probably end up in the hands of people who didn't even know they were being given away and are happy to get $20 for it on eBay or Craigslist rather than have it collect dust on their shelves.




There aren't any other modern bobbleheads that I've paid this much for.  And I'm referring to just the bobblehead, not the signing fee.  I paid nearly twice as much for this bobblehead than I did for Joe Mauer's FOCO Hall of Fame bobblehead, which I posted about yesterday as part of the four I got back from Fan HQ.

I need to do an inventory of the Twins bobbleheads to see which ones I still need to get signed.  I am drawing the line at some point in time, after which I won't collect any more of them.  I don't like the new ones as much as the simple, old ones. And I just don't feel the same connection to the players that I used to, mainly because not very many of them stay with the team more than a couple of years.  This also makes it hard to get them signed, along with the fact that there are very few opportunities to meet the players in person compared to even just a few years go.

No comments: