Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Harmon Killebrew 1936 - 2011

Terrible news today for Twins fans.  Harmon Killebrew passed away, just a few days after announcing he was entering hospice care.

To me, Killebrew was the Twins.  He represented everything positive about the game and the organization.  We had the good fortune of meeting him on several occasions at TwinsFest and the Autograph Party. 


He was my 13 year old son's favorite player, even though he never saw him play.



I read about people's experiences getting autographs on many web sites.  Frequently you read about a bad experience someone had with a player (probably because of rude or demanding fans), even if that player is normally very friendly.  I have NEVER heard of a negative experience involving Harmon Killebrew.


At autographs functions, many people would complain about how slow he would sign and how few people could get through his lines.  As you can tell from some of the pictures on this page, it was because Mr. Killebrew always greeted his fans, listened to their stories and thanked them for coming out to whatever function he was at.


Today the Twins lost the face of their organization, and it will never be the same.

1 comment:

The King said...

I'm sorry about what has happened today. I know that you folks have lost a saint of a man in Minnesota and I feel for all of you tonight.

God bless!!!