Thursday, January 06, 2011

Gene Conley and Jim Nettles Returns

I didn't have access to my computer and scanner last night as some contractors were finishing up some painting in my basement so I'm catching up today.

Yesterday I received a return from Gene Conley who signed a 1954 Topps for me.  I included $5 with my request.  He added the date that he signed it, which happened to be on New Year's Day.  I'm not sure why he added the date but I've heard of other players doing that too.  Bob Feller added the date to the ball he signed for my son at TwinsFest a couple of years ago.  I sent a 1958 Topps to Mr. Conley in 2003 and he didn't add the date to that one.



Today I received a 1972 and 1973 Topps from Jim Nettles.




My son received a 1958 Topps signed by Johnny O'Brien today.


I also received a purchase I made from a fellow member of SCN.  Long story, but back in 2007 when we went to the Twins Autograph Party (perhaps the hottest day EVER), my sons found themselves with an opportunity to get Johan Santana's autograph.  We didn't know it at the time, but we're pretty sure they snuck in at the end of the line after the ushers had cut it off.  They weren't really trying to sneak in, but we were in the line next to Santana (waiting for Killebrew) when we looked over and saw that Santana's line was almost empty with just a couple of minutes left in that session.  I quickly gave David a ball and thought I didn't have another baseball for Johnny, so I gave him a mini bat.  They ran up and got his autograph.  Not long after, I realized I did have a baseball that I cold have given Johnny to get signed and have felt really bad about it ever since.  Anyway, I finally found a reasonably priced ball.  It's mlb-authenticated.  I looked up the number and it was signed in February of 2010. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice cards. I'll have to try Jim Nettles... I have Graig & Jeff Nettles autographs, so it would be nice to complete the family set.