Sunday, December 21, 2008

Yogi


I really need to get my act together and get my 1965 Topps out to Yogi Berra. Despite his reputation as a bit of a goofball, Yogi had a Hall of Fame career. He is famous for his "Yogiisms", such as, "Ninety percent of this game is half mental".

Yogi played in 14 World Series with the Yankees and won 10 of them. He was an All-Star 15 times and league MVP three times. He also caught Don Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 World Series.



Yogi also managed and coached for several teams after his playing days were over in 1963.


I have been fortunate enough to get Yogi's autograph several times via the instructions on his website. When I started collecting autographs in 2003, he charged $10 to sign a baseball card. Today it is $50. I have a couple cards, a baseball and a magazine signed by him, as well as a picture of him and Don Larsen after the 1956 perfect game, signed by Larsen as well. In fact, you can purchase this picture directly from Don Larsen signed by both him and Yogi for only $40, which is a pretty good deal.

No comments: