Monday, November 20, 2023

Daley and Jay TTM Returns and a Couple Purchases

I have sent to Pete Daley a few times over the years.  A long time ago (2004), he just signed the cards with no personalization. When I sent to him in 2010, he personalized my cards as well as last year.  I bought a rather expensive ($20) 1955 Topps and I really didn't want him to personalize it.  So, I sent it to him along with a 1958 Red Sox team card that already had a couple signatures.  In my letter, I asked him politely not to personalize it, because there isn't much room on this rather busy card, which is very true.  I emphasized that these cards were for my personal collection and would not be sold.  I also included $10 and told him that even if he still wanted to personalize the cards, he should still keep the $10 for his time.

He returned the cards signed, but not personalized.  He also returned my $10 and tore off a piece of the envelope I sent my request in and wrote "Give it to Charity".  So, I put the $10 in my wallet and thought, sure, I'll donate it to charity when I get the chance.  Then I realized I'll never do it unless I do it right now.  I donated it to my local food shelf via their web site.  They will probably think such a small donation is odd, but I fulfilled Mr. Daley's request in return for his nice gesture of not personalizing my cards.


I also received a return from Joe Jay, who signed three different 1962 Topps that he appears on, as well as a 1963 National League Pitching Leaders card.  Unfortunately, of all the players pictured on those multi-player cards, only one is still alive.  Art Mahaffey is on the 1963 card, and I will probably send it on to him to sign.




I made a rather expensive mistake when I bought a 1952 Topps signed by Ned Garver, because I already have it!  I sent it ttm to Mr. Garver in March of 2010, and it looks almost identical to the one I just bought.

Finally, I bought a Beckett-authenticated Johnny Bench 2000 Fleer Greats of the Game.  I collect mainly vintage signed cards, but this set just stands out to me and I've been slowly working on it since I started collecting in 2003.  I still need 43 to complete the set, but I already have 64.

No comments: