Monday, August 15, 2022

Steve Garvey and a Juan Marichal Rookie Card

The week started off well with nice returns from Steve Garvey and Juan Marichal.

Steve Garvey signed three different 1975 Topps cards as well as his 1977 Topps.  I am not working on the 77 set, so don't normally pay to have any of these signed, but I've had this card since I bought a friend's lot of 77 Topps when I was in college.  For some reason, this Steve Garvey card has stood out in my mind so I'm happy to get it signed.




I also received a nice return from Juan Marichal, who signed his 1961 Topps rookie card.  I enclosed $20 with my request and had asked for his HOF inscription, which I didn't get.  He did add the inscription to the last card I sent him, even though I hadn't requested it and enclosed the same fee.

I've been wanting to add this card to my collection for a long time, but the card itself is pretty expensive, and haven't found one I was willing to pay for that was in acceptable condition.  This one went on sale on Ebay, and I used some credit card rewards points to help lower the cost even more.

I usually just send my ttm requests in a plain white envelope with no index cards or card holders to protect them.  When I have tried card holders, I've had players sign the holder instead of the card, or smear the card putting it back in, etc. I'm also afraid that whatever I might put in the envelope to help protect it might cause the envelope to get stuck and damaged in the sorter.

But since this card was so expensive, I used bubble mailers, a semi rigid card holder and a piece of cardboard to help protect it.  Luckily, it turned out nicely.

1 comment:

Crocodile said...

Nice job with the Marichal. I don't think I would have risked sending that card for a sig.