Friday, January 01, 2021

2020 In Review

I did pretty well on my 2020 collecting goals.  I'm not sure I'll be able to top them in 2021.

Here's how I did:

Goal - Send out 200 requests.  Result - I sent out 253 requests.  This is the most I've sent since 2004, which was my second year in the hobby.  That year, I sent out 491.  I have no idea how I found time to do that with a 5 and 7-year old (now 21 and 23).

Goal - Add 50 signed cards to my 1978 Topps set.  Result - I added 78 cards to my set this year. 

Goal - Add 50 signed cards to my 1971 Topps set.  Result - I added 105!  

Goal - Add 20 cards to my 1972 Topps set.  Result - I added 29 cards to this set.

Goal - Add five signed balls to my collection.  Result - I only added four, so I missed on this one a bit.

Goal - Add five signed magazines to my collection.  Result - I only added one.  I guess I just didn't get motivated enough to go through the hassle of mailing these out.  I'll try to make up for it in 2021.

Goal - Add two signed bobbleheads to my collection.  Result - I didn't add any bobbleheads this year.  In hindsight, I shouldn't have set this goal.  My bobblehead collection is limited to Twins players and there aren't that many I need.  I won't be setting any bobblehead goals in 2021, but I will keep my eye out for any signings for ones the few that I need.

Overall, I'm happy with my progress in 2020.  I'd like to get more non-card autographs including balls and magazines in 2021.

I'm still thinking a bit about my goals for 2021.  I'll probably post them tomorrow.

The highlight of the year for me was a great return from Bobby Shantz. I sent him a Gold Glove ball to sign, and not only did he sign it, but he also included a signed photo of himself with one of his awards.



The worst part of the year was all of the great Hall of Famers we lost: Tom Seaver, Al Kaline, Whitey Ford, Lou Brock, Bob Gibson, Joe Morgan and Phil Niekro.

I really enjoy collecting players from the 50's and 60's, but that's getting harder and harder to do.

Good luck with your collection in 2021!


No comments: