Monday, September 07, 2015

Mickey Mantle Ball

I've had this for a while but had forgotten to scan it in and add it to my web site or blog about it.

Last fall I helped a relative sell some sports memorabilia for their aunt who had become ill and was moving out of her house.

This collection was a real mix of quality.  A few very nice pieces, including this Mickey Mantle ball, as well as a lot of late 80's and early 90's cards that were almost worthless.

In addition to the Mantle Ball, there were balls signed by Ted Williams and Joe Dimaggio.  Also lots of Nolan Ryan autographed items including balls, pictures, a bat and a glove.  This collection was put together in the early 90's and much of it was purchased from the Home Shopping Club.  I was a little skeptical of the authenticity despite the signatures looking really nice.

After some investigation and getting some more experienced collector's opinions, I arranged to keep the Mantle ball in exchange for helping sell the rest of the collection.  The nice items sold quickly, but it took a long time and a lot of Craigslist meet-ups to sell the rest $20 to $30 at a time.  I finally sold the remaining items at my garage sale in early May.  Many items wold have cost more to ship than they were worth.

Despite all the work (which was kind of fun too), I"m really happy to add this ball to my collection.

No comments: