Friday, August 27, 2010

Some Returns!

I was out of town this week and came home to a few returns.  About a week ago I sent out about 20 requests and I got three returns today.

Joe Shipley signed his 1959 and 1960 Topps.



Irv Noren signed his 1960 Topps.


Tom Hall signed his 1970 and 1972 Topps.


I've been thinking about a new project to start and I think I've decided to work on the 1972 Topps set.  I used to really hate the set, with it's '70's-style lettering and odd color-schemed borders.  For some reason now I think they're cool.

Now I have to try to find a nice large lot cheap enough.  I'm hoping to pay about 25 cents per card for a large lot.  I've already started going through the checklist and identifying which players sign through the mail.  I'm going to set a goal of 400 signed cards out of that set.

I got another interesting return today.  A member on SportsCollectors.Net is an acquaintance of Sal Durante.  Mr. Durante is the fan that caught Roger Maris' 61st home run back in 1961.  I got a picture of Sal and Maris, signed by Sal and inscribed with the date he caught the ball.  Sort of an odd item since Sal wasn't a player himself, but I think it's pretty cool and it was very inexpensive.

No comments: