Wednesday, September 02, 2026

Kessinger, Law and Pascual

Today brought three returns, all of which I had sent in bubble envelopes via Pirate Ship rather than regular sases.

I sent Don Kessinger a Grand Slam print and four cards, which he signed nicely with the pen I enclosed.





Vern Law signed six cards for me and included a seventh.  He sent a preprinted note asking for some donations for him to use to contribute to a favorite charity.  On the back of that note, he wrote that this is the last time I'll get "subscription" for free.  I think he meant "inscription".  And from here out, it will be $20 per card.  I actually wouldn't mind to get a few cards signed by him with just his signature instead of the ton of inscriptions he almost always includes now.  I do love the inscriptions though, and a card like the 58 Topps he signed this time is really amazing.  But sometimes a simple signature is nice too.







Finally, Camilo Pascual signed his 1963 Jell-O and a few Twins team cards.  I sent him both a blue sharpie and a blue Staedtler, and noted in my letter that I'm appreciative of his habit of using a thicker pen when space allows, and a finer pen in smaller spaces, like team cards.






I've been "investing" in some more Hall of Fame rookie cards.  I sent three Johnny Bench 1968 Topps rookie cards into a signing today, as well as a 75 Topps Yount, and a 73 Topps Mike Schmidt.  I took advantage of a few signings that have lower fees than most signings, even though these lower prices are rising, as are the regular prices.  For example, Carl Yastrzemski's price on cards has gone from $60 in 2017, to $100 in 2020, to $135 in 2024, to $195 this year.  I know I say this occasionally, but my days in this hobby are numbered.

For most of the expensive signings I've been sending in for, I look at sold listings on eBay to see what that market value is, and try to be sure that the price I pay for the cards plus the signing and slabbing are at least 10% less, so that if I needed to, I could turn around and get my money back on these cards.  For several of the Hall of Famers, it can be cheaper to find an authenticated card already signed for less than the cost of finding a decent card and sending it in.  I am still going to send in for Yaz this time, but it's probably my last.  And at $195 per card, I'm only getting his rookie card signed.  Most others can be purchased for less already signed.

I'm building on some vintage bobbleheads tonight and hope to add about a dozen to my rapidly growing collection.

No comments: