Sunday, May 06, 2012

Twins 5 - Tigers 3 - August 11th, 1964

A while ago I received another old Twins program that I bought on Ebay.  This program is from a game against the Tigers on Tuesday, August 11th, 1964.  You can view the box score at baseball-reference.com.


It was a good game for the Twins, with Al Worthington picking up the win, having pitched the last 3 innings.  Tony Oliva was 2 for 4 with a home run and a double.  Early Battey went 3 for 4.



The Twins kept Al Kaline under control, holding him hitless for the game.


Unfortunately, the game wasn't very meaningful, as the Tigers were 13.5 games out of first place and the Twins were 15.5 games back.

Inside the program were a couple of interesting ads.  First, there was an ad for the Western Oil Portraits of the Twins players by Nicholas Volpe.  I guess you had to pay 10 cents for them.  I had thought they were free.  The ad also includes a tumbler with the Twins facsimile autographs on them.  I'm not sure I've seen one of these before.  I may have to keep my eyes out for one.


There is also a Bubble UP ad featuring Killebrew and Allison.


No comments: