Saturday, May 02, 2009

1965 World Series Program - Metropolitan Stadium

A few days ago I showed off my 1965 World Series program that was sold at the Dodger home games. I also have the program that was sold at Metropolitan Stadium. The cover isn't nearly as interesting as the one sold in L.A.. The inside is pretty much the same with pictures and short bios on each of the players and coaches. The ads are similar, except they're for Minnesota companies.


Based on the partial scoring that was done on the score card on the inside, this one was purchased either at Game 2 on October 7, 1965, or Game 7 on October 14, 1965, because both Koufax and Kaat pitched in those games. The Dodgers won each of those.

I got a surprise when I received this one after having won it in an eBay auction. There are two ticket stubs taped inside. When I first saw them, I was really excited because I assumed they would be for the World Series game, but they aren't. They're from the game on August 24th, 1965, when the Twins lost to the Yankees 1-2.

Mel Stottlemyer was the winning pitcher for the Yankees, with Jim Perry earning the loss for the Twins. Killebrew didn't play. Tom Tresh hit a homer for the Yankees. Sandy Valdespino hit a triple for the Twins and Tony Oliva stole his 14th base of the season. Attendence was 33,772. I found this information on a great site that has old box scores: www.retrosheet.org.

No comments: