Monday, March 11, 2024

Tricked Again

After receiving three ttm returns on Saturday, I was anxious to open the three returns in my mailbox today.  One from Florida and two from Arizona.  I was sure at least one of them would be a spring training return.

There weren't any in that batch, but I did get some nice returns regardless.

Doug Camilli signed the 1973 Red Sox coach's card already signed by the late Eddie Kasko, as well as the 1961 and 1963 Dodgers team cards.  I had enclosed for $5 per card.



Rich "Goose" Gossage signed his 1983 Topps for his $10 per card fee.  I have 19 cards from this set signed by Hall of Famers now, but a very long way to go on the rest of the set.

Generous-TTM-signer Jim Marshall signed his 1961 Topps, the 1963 Pirates team card and the 1974 Cubs coach's card.



Also, I received a Gold Glove baseball back from Ryne Sandberg.  Several years ago, I sent him a regular baseball which he signed with blue sharpie.  I'm pretty sure I had enclosed a ballpoint pen for him to use with that request, so I knew there was a chance this ball might not get signed with the pen I sent.

But he signed it nicely under the logo as I had requested, with my pen, or at least some blue ballpoint pen.  I had asked him to add an inscription, "9x G.G." but I did not receive that.  I enclosed $20 with my request, which is very reasonable.  I didn't read anything on SCN specifically about a fee for signing baseballs.  According to the comments, he had signed a baseball anywhere from $10 to $25 but did not see any inscriptions being included for those requests.  I also saw that on some other returns, he used the blue sharpie on baseballs.


This ball took a while to get back to me despite just having to go from Chicago to roughly the Twin Cities here in Minnesota.  Between this return and some eBay shipments I'm expecting, I've seen several spending a couple days in facilities in Chicago.

Speaking of which, this 1972 Topps spent five days in the Chicago area before reaching me today.  This PSA-graded card is the perfect balance of cost and eye appeal for me.  I'm pretty surprised it's only a 3.  The centering is pretty nice, and the corners are pretty good too.  The bottom right corner has a ding but it's pretty hard to see.  Even at this low grade, it was still a $30 card!  It's a high number, and the rookie of stars Ben Oglivie and Ron Cey.  This Bernie Williams, not to be confused by the much younger Yankee, only played about four years with a lifetime batting average of .192.

All three of these players are still with us.  Ron Cey signs via J.D. Legends Promotions, which is where I'll send it first.  Ben Oglivie used to sign ttm, but now it appears that he just signs at shows, which he seems to do a couple times a year.  And Bernie Williams doesn't appear to have signed ttm since 2021, at least according to SCN.  I don't see any private signings with him in the past either, so he may be the tough one to complete this card.

No comments: