Saturday, September 23, 2023

Jim Barr and Pete Richert TTM Returns Including Six Team Cards

My steady stream of ttm returns continued into today. I have fallen a bit behind in my requests so I might see a drop off in returns in a week or two.

Despite only receiving two returns, these two players signed three team cards each.

Jim Barr signed the third copy of his 1972 Topps that I have sent him.  This one was already signed by Chris Arnold. 

The other two copies are signed by all three players, and this one will be headed to Dave Rader next.


Jim Barr is the first player to sign these 1972, 1973 and 1975 Giants team cards.  I was surprised I hadn't sent these cards out to anyone yet, but you've got to start somewhere, I guess.



Pete Richert signed his 1973 Topps as well as the 1963 and 1965 Dodgers and 1971 Orioles team card.  Brooks Robinson signed a different 71 Orioles team card and I intend to keep just his signature on that copy.  I'll send this copy out to the other players.





Here's the Orioles card signed by Mr. Robinson.  It looks a bit better in person than in this dark scan.



I forgot to post my return from Galen Cisco yesterday, who signed the 1963 Red Sox team card, his 1965 Topps and added the 13th (and final) signature to the 1965 Mets team card.





The Mets card is full, but there are several more players that could sign it.  So, I bought another copy of the card and will send our version two of it to the remaining players.

I think four cards is the optimal number per request, assuming the player will sign four.  Sportscollectors.net will show you if they have a cutoff less than four cards or will have notes that the player randomly switches out cards or some other habit that might result in you receiving something less (or more!) than you hoped.

Four cards easily fit in a sase without too much risk of getting torn up in the sorting process.  I personally don't think four is too many to ask a player to sign, considering they are already opening a letter, sometimes reading it, putting cards back in the sase and sealing that up.  

Sending four cards costs the same as sending fewer cards so you might as well get as many as you can, without being rude (in my opinion) or causing the player too much hassle.

Occasionally I will send five cards.  Five cards start to feel like a lot to me, especially after opening them and laying them out on the table.  I always note the high number of cards and either include a small amount of cash for a player who normally doesn't charge a fee, or at least call out why I'm sending so many and thanking them more than usual.  For example, I'm collecting cards from the 1971 and 1972 Topps sets, and they happen to have three cards in the 1972 set, as well as two in the 1971 set.

Having team cards around to send out with requests is a nice way to get more signatures without necessarily having to buy more cards, or without buying duplicates to get signed just because (which I am guilty of).


No comments: