Saturday, September 09, 2023

Dalton Jones TTM Return

Just one return today, but it included a couple team cards.

Dalton Jones was the first to sign my 1965 Red Sox team card and joined Fred Scherman on my 1972 Tigers team cards.  Obviously, I have a long way to go on these cards.


He also signed his 1966 and 1967 Topps.


I believe I've mentioned that I'm slowly working on building an unsigned 1971 Topps set.  I'm not trying to build the highest graded set or anything.  In fact, I don't plan on including many graded cards at all.  I might buy graded cards of some of the stars, but they will be low grade.  I like to know that someone hasn't tried to touch up the black edges, or trimmed them, or any other type of alteration.

Anyway, I bought nearly 60 cards to add to my set which I received today.  A handful of them are upgrades.  While I'm not trying to build a high-grade set, I do want them to be of reasonable quality without creases, stains, pinholes, etc.  My biggest pet peeve is centering.  I don't like cards that are even a little off center.  I have some cards of lower quality that I probably acquired as part of a lot I purchased sometime in the past, so I try to upgrade those when the opportunity arises, but my priority is on adding cards that I don't currently have.  It's oddly satisfying to add a card to its empty pocket in the binder, especially if it completes that nine-pocket page.  

This Jerry May and Jim Roland cards are part of the lot I just bought.  They are nicely centered but have some nicks on the black edges, which is super common on this set.  These two cards are pretty typical of the cards I'm buying now.  Some better, but not too many worse.


I have a lot of these cards signed, but I'm not including those in this set.  I want a complete, unsigned set.  It would be great to have a complete, signed set, but that won't happen.  I have 417 cards signed out of 752 total.  I'm at about 55%.  I don't know how many unsigned cards I have.  I currently only buy cards online, so I sit at my computer with my binder of 9-pocket pages to see which cards I need.  I should probably make a list though.

I'm missing a lot of stars and high number cards (both signed and unsigned), so it could get pretty expensive to finish moving forward.

No comments: