Monday, September 25, 2023

Berenguer, Hamlin and Kaiser TTM Returns and Another 1958 Topps Purchase

I received three more ttm returns today as well as an eBay purchase to add to my 1958 Topps set.

Juan Berenguer signed his 1987 Topps Traded card very quickly for his $5 fee.  I've been putting off getting this card signed simply because I didn't have it so the last time I ordered cards from eBay I added on a bunch of low cost cards like this that I've been meaning to get signed. 

I wanted this one because the Traded card has him in a Twin's uniform.  I already have his regular 87 Topps signed, which shows him in a Tigers' uniform.


Ken Hamlin signed his 1961, 1962 and 1966 Topps cards for me.  I believe these are his only Topps cards.  I sent this exact same request to him nearly three years ago, but I had unsigned copies of his cards sitting around, and apparently, I am no longer able to just let that go by without getting them signed.



Similarly, Don Kaiser was kind enough to sign his 1957 and 1958 Topps.  Like Hamlin, I already had these cards signed, but the cards were just lying here, so.....  This time, I also included the 1958 Cubs team card for him to sign, which he did.



I also added another 1958 Topps to my set.  This time, it's Vic Wertz.  I'm sure most everyone has seen or heard of Willie Mays', "The Catch", where he ran down a hard-hit fly ball in the spacious outfield of the Polo Grounds and not only caught it, but also made an amazing throw afterwards.  That ball was hit by Vic Wertz.


This purchase brings me to needing exactly 100 more cards to complete this set.  I've been working on it for about 20 years, and am about 80% done.  And now, it's gets tough and expensive.

No comments: