Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Happy New Year!! 2013 In Review

Happy New Year!  It's very cold here in Minnesota so we're staying indoors on our day off.

I have recently paid for a row of four seats from the Metrodome, which they began to disassemble after the Vikings last game on Sunday.  I should be contacted this week with a time slot to go pick them up.  I'm not sure when I'll pick them up, but I think they start on January 7th.  I'm excited to see how they look in my basement.

I thought I'd take this opportunity to review my 2013 collecting goals:

Goal: Add 13 more Nicholas Volpe Western Oil portraits to my collection.

Result: I added 9.  I'm not sure how I came up with 13, I"m not even sure that's possible.  I'll have to revisit this one for my 2014 goals.

Goal:  Send out 100 requests through the mail.  I'm toning this down a bit this year in quantity, but plan to concentrate on vintage cards from the 50's and 60's.

Result: I only sent out 57!  I can't believe it was so few.  I'll have to be more diligent in 2014.  I hav a stack of cards ready to go on my desk, but just haven't sent them.

Goal: Add 1 more signed bobblehead to my 1987 Twins bobblehead set.  The three I have left are Don Baylor, Randy Bush and Les Straker.

Result: I did not add any of these guys to my collection this year.

Goal:  Add 3 more signed bobbleheads to my 1991 Twins bobblehead set. 

Result: I only added one: Brian Harper.

Goal:  Add 3 more cards to my 1958 Topps set as well as my 1965 Topps set.


Result: I added two 1958 Topps: Brooks Lawrence and Don McMahon, and two 1965 Topps: Jerry Grote and Jim Hart.


So, I did a pretty poor job of reaching my goals this year.  I think my 2014 goals will be pretty similar buy I'm going to take a few days to think about them before posting them.

Unfortunately, TwinsFest doesn't look like it will offer me much of an opportunity to meet these goals.  I'm also starting to be a little more conscious of how much I spend on this hobby.  For example, there is a Chuck Knoblauch signing coming up.  Knoblauch hasn't signed in public for a long time.  I have his 1991 bobblehead to be signed, but I'm not sure I'll spend the money.  I probably should...


How did you do on your goals this year? 

What are your goals for 2014?

1 comment:

Paul Hadsall said...

Happy 2014.

I don't think I set any formal collecting goals, but I did advance my two long-term collecting goals of obtaining an autographed baseball card of every Mets player and every Topps base-set Mets card from 1962-present.

Life is not predictable enough right now to set any collecting goals for 2014.