Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Luis Aparicio Purchase and Denny Riddleberger TTM

I haven't added a card to my 2008 Goudey collection in quite a while.  I recently saw an SCN member selling a signed Luis Aparicio and it dawned on me that I don't have that one yet, so I bought it.  The last signing I've seen listed for him was in 2021, which was held by the same person I bought this card from.  It's not the best, being signed in black and towards the bottom of the card, but it cost a little more than one-third of the signing fee for that last signing, so I'm happy to add it to my set.

I have another collector who is very interested in this set and is interested in buying some of mine when I am ready to sell.  He checks in with me every few months, including just a couple weeks ago.  Every time, I consider it, but just can't bring myself to sell them.  Many of them care one of only a couple cards I have of guys like Willie McCovey, Joe Morgan and Bob Gibson, and I also kind of hate to break up the set.  I've only tried to acquire the retired players and have about 50.  Hopefully when I'm finally ready, my buyer will still be interested.

I sold my Ernie Banks card from this set a few years ago for $200, which was a great deal for me.  And I've regretted it every day since. :-)  

I don't collect a lot of modern cards that aren't Twins, and even then, I like the cards that have a definite retro design to them like the Topps Heritage and Allen & Ginter sets, and these Goudeys fall into that category.  Every time I look at them, I like them more.



 


I have a page on my web site that shows all the cards I have from this set here:  


https://www.thedroidtrader.com/2008goudey.html


I also received a ttm return from Denny Riddleberger, who signed his 1971 and 1973 Topps for his $5 per card fee.




No comments: