Sunday, January 06, 2013

Final Status on 2012 Collecting Goals

I didn't do too well on my goals this year.  My interest is dwindling a bit as I've built up my collection quite a bit over the years, and am kind of running out of things I want to get signed.  Also, the Twins really haven't been having as many in person signings during the year as they used to, and they've quit holding the summer autograph party completely.

Anyway, here's how I did:

  • Goal: Send out 150 requests through the mail.  Final result: I sent out 132 requests.  Towards the end of the year I even sent out cards to players that I already had signed just to try to meet this goal but it didn't really hold my interest.
  • Goal: Get 3 more bobbleheads signed from the 1987 Twins set.  I only need Don Baylor, Randy Bush, Mark Davidson, Greg Gagne and Les Straker to complete the living players.  Status: I got Mark Davidson and Greg Gagne to sign their bobbleheads at the Minneapolis Sports Card and Autograph Convention last spring.  Now I'm down to needing just Baylor, Bush and Straker. I fell short of this goal by one.
  • Get 8 more bobbleheads signed from the 1991 Twins set.  Status: I surpassed this goal, having gotten 6 of them signed at TwinsFest, as well as three others. Hopefully I can get a few more done at TwinsFest this year.
  • Reach 400 signed 1972 Topps. I ended up with 384, so I fell short on this one.
  • Additional sets - Add 5 more 1958 Topps (not including team cards), 15 more 1961 Topps and  10 more 1965 Topps.  Status: I really don't know how I did since I didn't keep close track on these.  I got at least 14 1961 Topps according to my records, and I bought at least a couple more, so I met that goal.  I'm pretty sure I only added one 1958 Topps, and only a handful of 1965 Topps.  In general, I did not meet this goal.
I'm thinking about my goals for 2013.  My interest has turned a bit towards my comic book collection which may take some of my time and money this year.   I am blogging about that hobby as well, over at My Comical Problem.  I will post later today on what I decide for 2013.

Some of my favorites from this year included the 1948 Leaf I got signed by Bobby Doerr and the 1961 Topps ERA leaders card I got signed by all four.



I also like the Minnie Minosos magazine I received.  I may focus more on magazines this year.


I also like the Western Oil portraits, and plan to send out a few more in 2013.



I made some progress on some Heritage and Allen & Ginter Twins sets, but mostly through purchases since many of the players have left (Baker, Span, Liriano, Cuddyer, Nathan, Revere, Kubel, Pavano, etc, etc, etc!).


 



No comments: