Saturday, January 14, 2012

Game Used First Base From Fenway - Twins vs. Red Sox, May 20, 2010

I've seen a few game used bases at the Twins Pro Shops, but they were always too expensive to consider.  Before Christmas, I got an email from Steiner Sports (like I do almost every day) advertising some game used items.  They had a lot of bases so I looked for one from a Twins game.

I cam across this one: First base from a game on May 20th, 2010 in which the Red Sox beat the Twins 6-2.  It was on sale for just under $100, which is less than half what I normally see them sold for.


During this game, Denard Span and Brendan Harris each had two hits, and Morneau and Cuddyer each had a hit.  Mauer and Delmon Young each had an RBI.  Morneau played first base for the Twins and Kevin Youkilis for the Red Sox.  Youkilis was also 2-4, with 4 RBI, 3 of those coming from a home run off Liriano.  Jon Lester was the winning pitcher.


I wasn't sure how I was going to display this, but I had a vacant spot in one of my display cases.  Luckily it was at the bottom, as it's pretty heavy and would make the case very tippy if it were on top.  I think it looks pretty good there.


It's dirty, which I hadn't really considered, and has the Red Sox logo on the sides.  I don't think I'll add a lot of these to my collection, but maybe someday I'll buy a game used base from Target Field.


The TwinsFest schedules are out.  It's very early this year.  One change this year: the lines for Mauer and Morneau will be a lottery system.  You go early and get a wristband.  They'll hand out different color wristbands and 20 minutes before the signing, they announce which color wristband gets to get in line.  You still aren't guaranteed an autograph, as the sessions are only a certain length of time, but they said they're trying to limit the wristband numbers to a reasonable amount.

I appreciate this effort, but I still see this causing some chaos.  People will now line up way early for the wristband line in hopes of getting through more than once, then they'll still line up early for the autograph line anyway, just in case their color is called, so they are towards the front of the line to ensure they'll get their autograph.

I would recommend also numbering the wristbands within each color, and handing them out in a random order, so they first person in line has the same chance as the last, of getting their autographs.  We aren't gong to mess with this on Friday evening, but maybe we'll give it a shot on Saturday and Sunday.

1 comment:

Play at the Plate said...

I've seen a few of those at the Ballpark in Arlington, but they always run for $300. Too rich for my blood. Nice pickup for your collection.