Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Jim Kaat Private Signing Return and Five TTM Successes

Today was a big day at the mailbox as I received a return from a Jim Kaat signing and five ttm returns, including the one that was in my Informed Delivery email on Monday.  That one ended up getting a second postmark on it, in the city nearest me with the USPS sorting facility.  My guess is it got misdelivered, and whoever got it simply put it back in outgoing mail.  That's my guess anyway.

Speaking of mail, I currently have several eBay purchases that have gone missing.  They all have that crappy ESUS eBay tracking number, which is far from accurate.  But these items have been out over a month, and I haven't received them.  I had to file a claim on eBay for a few of them.

The highlight of the day was my Jim Kaat return.  I recently got some cards back from him, as cards are the only item he'll sign if you send directly to him.  No balls, magazine, photos, etc.  I sent a nice, clean copy of a 1965 World Series program for him to sign, with a request that he sign it in silver in a specific spot.  All my requests were followed exactly as I wanted.  It was also authenticated by TriStar at no extra charge.

This is the Dodgers home version, which is quite a bit cooler than the Twins home version.  I may consider getting a Twins home version signed as well, but I'm not sure yet.  I am definitely sending a ball to his next signing to get one with his HOF inscription.  His prices have come down a bit since the spike after his HOF induction.



Tony Kubek signed a 1961 Topps for his $35 (ouch) fee.  His signature is getting pretty shaky, as you can see.  I appreciate him continuing to sign though.  There was a note on my letter thanking me for my donation, but that had to be written by someone else, based on the neatness of that handwriting.  He also added his Rookie of the Year inscription without me asking, which is nice.


Steve Dillon signed his 1964 Topps and the 1965 Topps Mets team card.  That makes eleven signatures on this card.  I may try for one more, then retire it.



Lou Klimchock signed his 1961 Topps as well as the 1963 and 1965 Braves team cards.  He also enclosed a signed picture that feels like it was cut from a magazine, although there is nothing on the reverse side.





Tim Cullen signed his 1968 and 1970 Topps, a 1972 Topps Buy Back card, and the 1972 A's team card.






Tom Qualters signed his 1955 and 1958 Topps.  I have a few copies of these already but was hoping for a blue sharpie upgrade.  Maybe I'll try again and send him a blue sharpie.



Finally, the oldest-living MLB player, Art Schallock signed a 1980 Fleer card commemorating the 1953 World Series.  Unfortunately, he signed the back.  Mr. Schallock is 99 years old.  His first MLB game was in July of 1951!  I couldn't find any cards of him.  I would have loved to have a 1951 Bowman or 1952 Topps of his, but I guess they don't exist.




No comments: