Monday, May 31, 2021

Tim McCarver, Ray Semproch, Lee Thomas and Wilbur Wood

I received a mixed bag of successes on Saturday.

First, Tim McCarver signed his 1971 Topps nicely for his $10 fee.  While I may have more cards I'd like signed by Mr. McCarver, my personal experience has led me to only send one card at a time to avoid any mix ups.  I haven't seen any issues listed lately on SCN, but in the past I've received cards back that were not the ones I had sent.


Next, Ray Semproch generously signed his 1959 and 1960 Topps.  Unfortunately, both cards were pretty badly creased on their return trip.  The envelope wasn't torn, but it had a couple big bends in it.  You can see on the 1960 card that the creases were sharp enough to break the color.



Next, Lee Thomas signed his 1964 Topps Stand Up, increasing my signed count of these cards to eight out of the 77 card set.


Finally, Wilbur Wood signed and personalized his 1965 Topps.  I don't prefer personalized cards, but beggars can't be choosers.  Unfortunately, Mr. Wood misspelled my name.  On top of that, this card was also quite badly creased on the return trip.  I think I will keep my eyes open for a paid signing as an opportunity to upgrade this card.



I am still waiting on the first 1977 Pepsi disc card I sent out and according to SCN, the player I sent it to has a bit of a backlog.  I ordered some more envelopes in hopes of making the overall package smaller and cheaper to mail, but it is right on the border of being either a letter (75 cents postage) or a large envelope ($1.20).  I'll be okay with either one, but I'm going to go to the post office and get an official ruling on it.  I'd hate to send it postage due to the player.  

I'm also a bit nervous that they might say it's too rigid and charge me a package rate at $4.20, which would pretty much put the kibosh on this project unless I punch out the disc from the rest of the card, which I'm not sure I want to do.

No comments: