Thursday, May 20, 2021

If I Only Knew Then What I Know Now...

Recently I was marveling at some of the great players I used to be able to get autographs from ttm (before they passed away).  I was also wishing I had sent more when I had the chance.

For example, Phil Rizzuto signed his 1954 Topps for me for his $12 fee in 2005.

Duke Snider signed his 1958 Topps for $5 in 2003.


And Yogi Berra signed his 2000 Fleer Greats of the Game for $10 in 2004.


There were many other players of similar caliber: Hank Bauer, Whitey Ford, Harmon Killebrew, Ernie Banks and Bob Feller, just to name a few.

And this wasn't really that long ago.  I started in the hobby 18 years ago (2003).

So I decided I shouldn't have any regrets 18 years from now and start trying to make sure I've sent to the current generation of high-caliber players that sign for reasonable fees.  After putting a top-of-mind list together, I came up with the players below.  

Note that this isn't meant to be a living, ongoing list that will be updated to reflect current fees and signing habits, but just a point-in-time list to demonstrate the availability of great willing-signers.  I'm not going to list their current fees either, but I believe all of these have fees for cards that are $20 or lower.  Note that these players are all in the Hall of Fame, but that wasn't a requirement when I started the list.


In no particular order:

  • Brooks Robinson
  • Jim Rice
  • Harold Baines
  • Ryne Sandberg
  • Andre Dawson
  • Mike Mussina
  • Juan Marichal
  • Bill Mazeroski
  • Jim Palmer
  • Wade Boggs
  • Fergie Jenkins
  • Bert Blyleven
  • Rich Gossage
  • Paul Molitor
  • Rollie Fingers
I think these are the players that one might regret not having sent (more?) to 20 years from now when these players have either passed away or changed their signing habits or fees.


If a person new to the hobby asked me who they should send to, I think I'd start with this list.

What do you think?  Have I missed anyone obvious?


2 comments:

Scott said...

Great list! I'd also add Eddie Robinson and Curt Simmons. They're not hall of famers, but they've been great signers for years.

Droidtrader said...

Yes, great additions! I thin Eddie Robinson is 100 years old now too! And Curt Simmons is 92.