Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Bobby Thomson Passes Away

Bobby Thomson, the New York Giants slugger that hit the "Shot Heard Round the World" to win the 1951 National League Pennant, passed away yesterday at the age of 86.

I posted just a few days ago about the photo I bought autographed by Thomson and Ralph Branca, the pitcher on the mound when Thomson hit his famous home run.



Mr. Thomson was a very generous signer through the mail.  I received several autographs from him, including a 1958 Topps, 1949 and 1951 Bowmans, a 2008 Goudey, and a 1955 Sport Magazine.




My son recently sent off a couple of cards to Mr. Thomson and sadly it seems he was too late.  He had the cards sitting around for months and finally one day I set them in front of him with a pen and paper and told him to write.

It's sad to see these players from the golden age of baseball passing away.

No comments: