Saturday, September 26, 2009

One Return and Some Antique Store Finds

I received one return in the mail today. Bill Dailey signed his 1964 Topps.

I sent off five magazine requests today, including Al Kaline, Ned Garver, Don Newcombe, Bobby Thomson and Ernie Broglio.

I have had really good luck finding inexpensive old magazines lately. I bought a bunch on eBay, which includes those I sent out today. After going to the post office this morning, I went to an antique store just to look around. This store used to have a dealer that had some signed baseballs of good ttm signers, although some of them were deceased. I check occasionally to see if the prices are reduced or if they're having a sale. Well, those baseballs weren't there anymore, but I did find five old magazine for $4-$5 each.

The magazines are all from 1961 and 1962. Three are Sports Illustrated and two are Sport Magazine. One of the SIs is the spring baseball preview, with a great one page write-up on each team. 1961 was the first year for the Twins, and they talked about Killebrew moving from third base to first, and the importance of Camilo Pascual pitching well to boost a young rotation (that included Jim Kaat).

Another SI features Cookie Lavagetto on the cover.


One of the Sport Magazines has Stan Musial on the cover (along with Ken Boyer). This one doesn't have a label and might be a good candidate to get Musial to sign.

No comments: