Monday, October 17, 2016

Juan Gonzalez Return

I have very few cards from the 1990's signed, but when I saw on sportscollectors.net that Juan Gonzalez was signing through the mail, I had to send a couple of cards.

His rookie cards in 1990 came out just as the baseball card market flood was beginning.  I remember buying these cards at a baseball card shop in St. Paul for about $3-$4 each, along with some Frank Thomas rookie cards for a little more.

I picked the right players.  Gonzalez's stats were impressive. He won 6 Silver Slugger awards, the AL MVP twice, and was the fastest player to 200 and 300 home runs.  He ended his 17-year career with 434 home runs.  But there were some many cards produced that they now sell for about $1.

Although he was named in the Mitchell Report, and one of the players Jose Canseco claims to have personally injected with steroids, Gonzalez has maintained his innocence.





No comments: